Relaxed

Relaxed

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Hiking Challenge Number Two

Mama and I took our second challenge hike for Labor Day.  It started off overcast and 75 degrees so it seemed like it was going to be a nice hiking day.

See. Overcast.

We spotted a tiny snapping turtle on the side of the trail.  Mama discovered I am not a fan of all reptiles, not just snakes. I didn't go flying when I saw him, but I also didn't get any closer than 3 feet from him. I didn't want my nose to get bitten.

 Tiny, but ferocious

As we kept hiking it kept getting warmer and warmer and sunnier and sunnier and I got hotter and hotter. I stopped at almost every bench for a water break and Mama said I was going to run out of water before the hike was over at that rate.  And there were SO MANY bikes it was crazy! There is a long boardwalk at this hike and we got passed by 8 bikes at once when we were in the middle of it. One little brat on a bike purposely steered towards me too and Mama wanted to kick him (preferably off the boardwalk) when he came close enough for her to do so, but she said that she'd probably end up in the people pound if she did that.

The hike ended up right before a park, but Mama said, let's go see what the park is like.


The end of the hike

It was a nice park with more trails and a great big tree house for little kids to play in. A girl came down from the treehouse to see me, but when she realized how big I was she changed her mind. There were also these statues.

Geese

On our way back to the trailhead we came across a little boy who was whining to his father about how hot and tired and thirsty he was. The father pointed out that he had been given the option of carrying a bottle of water and chose not to. Then he pointed to me and said, "See even the dog knew he should carry water." The boy then asked Mama if he could have some of my water but Mama said, "We've both been drinking out of both bottles. I don't think it would be a good idea." and the father agreed.  Then we saw a small dog being carried by his human and I thought, "Wait, dogs can get CARRIED on hikes?" and I told Mama I wanted her to carry me. She said I was too big and I had to keep walking, so I lay down in the shade and refused to move. After about fifteen minutes I realized Mama wasn't going to give in and carry me so I got up and continued hiking.

Carry me

When we got back to the trailhead Mama pumped some water for me. I had her fill my bowl four times. That was a lot of pumping. 

 Cold well water, mmmm

The thermometer in the car said it was 86 degrees out, but I think it was hotter. Mama says that it felt hotter because it was humid too. When we got home I was still hot and tired so Mama got Merlin's old wading pool out of the yard shed and filled it for me. I had a lot of fun splashing around in it and felt much better after that. Mama says she'll get the outside water fixed for me next summer so she doesn't have to haul 5 gallon buckets of water out to fill the pool.

Total miles hiked: 4.2
Bikes seen: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment